I recently ran across a list of 8 key sales skills by Allen Guy, author of Playing to Win: the Sport of Selling. Thought I’d share them with you.
- Understand yourself. How do you interact with others, and how do they see you?
- Understand the buyer. What motivates this specific buyer?
- Know your product. Not just its features but also how it really helps this buyer.
- Position yourself for success. Increase trust by mobilizing support – ranging from user testimonials to people within the company who can vouch for you.
- Plan the sales call. Don’t be complacent; think through a complete plan
- Implement the plan. Execution is key to success.
- Ask for the business. Unfortunately, half of all sales people don’t!
- Follow-through to position yourself for repeat opportunities.