Kevin Kruse in Great Leaders Have No Rules offers 10 contrarian principles to stimulate our thinking. I‘d like to share them with you to stimulate your thinking:
- Close Your Open Door- to foster autonomy and empowerment of your team (and yourself!)
- Shutoff Your Smartphone – to foster focus of workers and safety
- Have No Rules – to shift from enforcement to values & guardrails that promotes accountability
- Be Likable, Not Liked – to create separation for tough decisions and candid feedback
- Lead with Love – (as Alan Mulally notes) it creates engagement with trust and loyalty
- Crowd Your Calendar – every minute wasted means you’re not coaching people or getting work done!
- Play Favorites – to leverage their strengths and encourage their retention.
- Reveal Everything – enables team members to move fast, adapt to change and make their decisions
- Show weakness – this contributes to a culture of psychological safety & trust, and creates innovation
- Leadership is Not a Choice – reminds yourself that there are no time-outs in being a lead
What do you think? Share with us the one that most stimulated you to make a change today.